Getting back in the back-to-school groove is a whole lot easier when your scholastic supplies bring a smile to your face! One of the first tasks all students are given is to cover their textbooks, a project that usually involves repurposing a brown paper bag. We thought we’d take this DIY a step further and add a little excitement with our new sticker sheets!
What you’ll need:
– brown paper bag
– sticker sheets/sticker book(s)/washi tape
How to create your cover:
1. Gently remove the bag handles.
2. Cut down the side of one of corners the bag from top to bottom, then cut the rest of way around the 3 sides of the bottom to remove the bottom flap. Open up the bag and lay it flat- you should have one long rectangular piece.
3. Customize the fit to the size of your textbook by placing the book in the center of the paper and creasing the top and bottom excess paper (or you can mark the dimensions using a pencil) to fit the actual height of the book.
4. Set the book aside and fold the top and bottom along the crease or pencil lines.
5. Place the book back in the center and wrap the paper across the cover from left to right so that the ends meet evenly.
6. Fold the overlap over the front cover and crease the paper along the edge. If there is significant excess paper, you can trim it down. You should have enough bag to wrap about 3/4 of the way into the inner front cover.
7. Insert the cover into the slots created by folding the top and bottom of the bag, slide until you hit the crease, and close to create the final fit. Cover should fit snugly, not to the point of tearing, but not loose, either.
8. Repeat the same process on the back cover. You’ve now got your blank canvas ready for decorating!
Against the backdrop of plain brown paper, a cute and colorful design can really bring excitement and style to an otherwise boring book cover! One of the simplest and easiest design options is to spell out the first letter of the subject or topic with designer sticker sheets or the individual sticker sheets (if you prefer to stick to one particular design theme).
Spell It Out
One of the hidden treasures in our cool for school sticker book are the metallic alphabet stickers hiding in the back of the book! They are incredibly versatile, and are a fun to way personalize just about any paper product for a unique and fresh way to truly make your supplies your own. Keep it straightforward with the title of the book or the subject, or have some fun with phrases: ‘hola’ for a Spanish text, or ‘E equals MC squared” for a clever physics cover.
It goes without saying that we love to celebrate creativity, and the beauty of this DIY project is the ability to customize your book covers any way your heart desires! There are a million-and-one ways to customize your covers, so we encourage you to get creative – we especially love the idea of creating an interactive cover with sheets from our coloring book and matching colored pencil set! It’s the gift that keeps on giving for those less-than-lively lectures 😛
Want more creative ways to use our stylish new stickers? Check out our Pinterest for TONS of DIY ideas!